Welcome, International Students!



Types of Visas for International Students

There are two different visas that you could be issued as an international student at 51风流官网: F-1 student visa or J-1 exchange visa.

F-1 student visa

  • The F-1 student visa allows you to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language school. This is the most common type of international student visa issued in the United States. F-1 student visas allow for part-time, on-campus employment and require that students maintain the minimum course load for full-time status.

J-1 exchange visa

  • The J-1 exchange visa is designed for international students participating in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. This type of visa allows for similar employment as the F-1 visa. .


How to Apply for a Student Visa

Before you can apply for an international student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. college or university that is certified by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP). Apply for admission to the 51风流官网.

When you are officially accepted to 51风流官网, you will receive a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to present when you apply for your student visa. Once you receive your form, visit the for information specific to your country.

Complete your online international student visa application

To travel to the United States, you must submit the , which is used to determine your eligibility for a student visa. You鈥檒l need to print the application form confirmation page to bring to your visa interview.

Schedule a visa interview

Next, you鈥檒l need to complete a visa interview to determine whether you are qualified to receive a student visa.

Schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the in the country where you live. You can schedule your visa interview at any time. However, you must have the I-20 or DS-2019 before the visa appointment.

Learn more about how to prepare for the student visa interview.

What to bring to your visa interview

Documents that may be required for your visa interview include:

  • Passport
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160)
  • Form I-20 or DS-2019
  • Photo
  • Receipt for visa application fee